Michelle Francis Scholarship
The Michelle Francis Endowment Fund was established with seed money donated by members of the executive board of the Society of North Carolina Archivists (SNCA). The fund was named in honor of the society’s first secretary/treasurer, whose efforts contributed greatly to the success of the society in its formative years. Currently, $1 of each member’s yearly dues is deposited into the fund. As a part of its long-range planning, in 1994 the society established a Development Committee to assist the executive board in planning for the development and funding of initiatives to promote educational opportunities for members.
The purpose of the Michelle Francis Scholarship is to provide SNCA members access to professional development opportunities by attending the annual SNCA conference. This award is intended to provide assistance with travel and conference fees and to defer costs associated with attending the conference. It also allows an archivist that normally might not attend an opportunity to increase their knowledge by attending this important function.
Two scholarships of $250 will be awarded. Scholarship funds may be used for conference registration, workshops, conference meals, and travel expenses. Persons meeting the criteria outlined below are encouraged to apply.
For this scholarship, an individual must currently:
- Be a current SNCA member
- Be employed in an archives or related position (special collection librarian, etc.)
- Demonstrate a financial need
Application for Award
- Current resume or CV
- Letter of reference from a person with knowledge of the applicant's work.
- Essay, in 400 words or less, describing financial need and/or circumstances, your job and how you plan to use the information you learn in your work.
- The award winner is not eligible to apply for the award again for five years.
- Financial need will be a factor in evaluating applications.
- Consideration will be given to whether scholarship applicants have attended prior conferences, with special consideration given to first-time SNCA Annual Conference attendees.
Application for this award must be received no later than January 31, 2017.
Application information for the Michelle Francis Scholarship is also available in PDF format.
Please mail or email materials to:
Karen Feeney/Development Chair
Forsyth County Public Library
North Carolina Room
201 N. Chestnut St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101