Contributed by Stephanie Barnwell
The Education Committee is pleased to announce Sarah-Esther Belinga and Carolyn Welker as the recipients of the 2020 C. David Jackson Memorial SNCA Student Scholarships. Their awards cover registration and expenses related to attending the 2020 SNCA Conference in Elon, NC.
Sarah-Esther Belinga is a second-semester MLIS student at UNC Greensboro. She found her place in the archival field after collaborating with several repositories in the Winston-Salem area. Presently, Sarah-Esther is a graduate instructional assistant for two undergraduate LIS classes. She also volunteers in Special Collections and University Archives at Jackson Library at UNCG. Sarah-Esther's passion lies in community-focused instruction and information literacy.
Carolyn Welker is currently pursuing her MA in Library Science at UNC Chapel Hill. She works as a graduate research assistant at the Stone Center Library, helping patrons with reference requests and curating mini-exhibits. She has previously worked for Costar, an historical clothing archive on the UNC campus, as well as Given-Tufts Memorial Archive in Pinehurst, NC. She is interested in community archiving and would love to work with minority communities in the South. In her free time, she loves to travel and read.
Uncovering the Hidden Labor and Faces of the Archives
Pre-conference workshops: Wednesday, March 18, 2020
Conference programming: Thursday, March 19-Friday, March 20, 2020
- SNCA Member (Early bird: by March 1): $65
- Non-member (Early bird: by March 1): $75
- Student SNCA Member: $40
- Student Non-member, Volunteers, and Retirees: $45
The Nominating Committee is now accepting nominations for open positions on the Society of North Carolina Archivists Executive Board. The positions that will be open in the next election are:
- Vice President/Programming Chair: The Vice President serves for 1 year and is responsible for coordinating the annual meeting. The VP usually moves into the role of president the following year for a 1-year term.
- Archives Month Chair: The Archives Month chair serves for 2 years and is responsible for coordinating the state-wide theme and outreach for Archives Month (October).
- 2 Members-at-Large (both are 2-year terms):
- RAAC Representative: This member at-large serves as liaison to the Society of American Archivists (SAA) Regional Archival Association Consortium (RAAC) and will receive a travel stipend to attend the SAA Annual Meeting.
- New professional/student member: This member at-large must be a graduate student or a professional in the first 5 years of professional work and serves as liaison to library schools across the state.
- Treasurer: Responsible for managing the finances of SNCA, including a bank account, payments and donations to the organization, and issuing payments. Nominees must have 2 years of membership in SNCA to qualify. (2-year term)
- Publications Chair: Responsible for coordinating publications including the SNCA Newsletter/Blog, J-SNCA, and social media (Facebook/Twitter). The chair serves on the editorial board of J-SNCA and participates in and delegates other communications.
More details about responsibilities of board members are included in the SNCA By-laws. Potential candidates may be suggested by others or self-nominated, and nominees must be current members of SNCA. If you have a question about your membership, please contact Thomas Flynn.
Nominations should be submitted online by January 10, 2020, at https://forms.gle/3MkggdjbwGn7rRFL8. If you have additional questions, please direct them to the Nominating Chair.