The Nominating Committee is now accepting nominations for open positions on the Society of North Carolina Archivists Executive Board. The positions that will be open in the next election are:
- Vice President/Programming Chair: The Vice President serves for 1 year and is responsible for coordinating the annual meeting. The VP usually moves into the role of president the following year for a 1-year term.
- Archives Month Chair: The Archives Month chair serves for 2 years and is responsible for coordinating the state-wide theme and outreach for Archives Month (October).
- 2 Members-at-Large (both are 2-year terms):
- RAAC Representative: This member at-large serves as liaison to the Society of American Archivists (SAA) Regional Archival Association Consortium (RAAC) and will receive a travel stipend to attend the SAA Annual Meeting.
- New professional/student member: This member at-large must be a graduate student or a professional in the first 5 years of professional work and serves as liaison to library schools across the state.
- Treasurer: Responsible for managing the finances of SNCA, including a bank account, payments and donations to the organization, and issuing payments. Nominees must have 2 years of membership in SNCA to qualify. (2-year term)
- Publications Chair: Responsible for coordinating publications including the SNCA Newsletter/Blog, J-SNCA, and social media (Facebook/Twitter). The chair serves on the editorial board of J-SNCA and participates in and delegates other communications.
More details about responsibilities of board members are included in the SNCA By-laws. Potential candidates may be suggested by others or self-nominated, and nominees must be current members of SNCA. If you have a question about your membership, please contact Thomas Flynn.
Nominations should be submitted online by January 10, 2020, at https://forms.gle/3MkggdjbwGn7rRFL8. If you have additional questions, please direct them to the Nominating Chair.
The Education Committee is now accepting applications for C. David Jackson Memorial Student Scholarship for the annual SNCA conference at Elon University! Pre-conference workshops will begin Wednesday, March 18, 2020, and the conference will run Thursday, March 19 to Friday, March 20, 2020.
This year, the committee will award two scholarships of $500 each to support student attendance at the society’s annual meeting and pre-conference workshops. Scholarship funds may be used for meeting registration, workshops, lodging, meals, travel, and other expenses. A one-year SNCA membership is also included with the scholarship.
Scholarship funds will be disbursed to recipients prior to the conference as a one-time payment. Applicants must be students enrolled in an archival studies, public history, or library science program in North Carolina.
Applications must be received by Wednesday, January 15, 2020. We will notify applicants of the committee’s decisions in early February. You can find the application form and additional details here.